We are heading towards the Halloween and although many find this an exciting and enjoyable time others can be intimidated and upset by trick or treating.

As part of our partnership with the police we have been asked if we can distribute posters which are designed for residents to display.

If you would like to display a poster to discourage trick or treating at your home; follow the link below and print off the poster.

Download the no trick or treat poster


Public Urged To Help Tackle Hare Coursing

We are encouraging the public to do their part for rural communities and help tackle hare coursing.

The hare coursing season typically starts in September when fields have been harvested, however the weather this year has meant many have already been cut and are now prime surfaces for the blood sport.

Over the past year (April 2018 – March 2019) police were called to 1,265 incidents. In the past month (July) the force control room have received 34 calls to courses operating throughout east and south Cambridgeshire as well as Fenland. The figure is expected to rise over the coming months.

Hare coursing, illegal under the Hunting Act 2004, causes damage to crops, harms animals and threatens the rural community, often resulting in intimidation and in some cases violence.

In October last year four hare coursers were handed the Cambridgeshire’s first county court injunction, banning them from entering any farm land from July until March.

Hare coursing continues to be one of the biggest issues our rural communities face.

Tackling it remains a priority for the Rural Crime Action Team (RCAT) and we will continue to do what we can to bring those responsible to justice but we need your help.

The most obvious sign of hare coursing is a group of vehicles parked in a rural area with dogs, perhaps by a gateway to farmland or on a grass verge, and I would urge people to report any suspicions, no matter how insignificant it may seem.

Those caught could face a criminal behaviour order, seizure of vehicles and other property, a fine and a driving ban.

The appeal is part of our #SaferSummer campaign, which aims to prevent crime and keep people safe during the school holidays.

Landowners are urged to consider blocking entrances to their fields with ditches, fencing or trees or even barriers like barrels filled with concrete.

Anyone who sees hare coursing taking place is asked to contact police immediately on 999 and provide officers with a description of the people involved, any registration numbers and vehicle descriptions and the location and direction of travel.

Its important people don’t confront hare coursers or put themselves at risk.

If you have information about hare coursing and it’s not currently happening, or have been a victim of the crime, please call 101 or report online at www.cambs.police.uk/report.

If a crime is in progress call 999.

The Neighbourhood Watch Coordinators for Guilden Morden are Judith Davis-Roach and Barry Holme.

Cambridgeshire Neighbourhood Watch

Courier/Banking Fraud – Be Aware

Please be aware there have been a number of courier/ telephone banking frauds carried out over the last month across South Cambs. villages.
What is it?
You may be called by someone pretending to be from your bank or building society or a trusted organisation like the police who convince you to give them your card details over the phone.
The fraudsters then arrange for a courier to pick up your card to take it away for evidence or to have it destroyed.
In reality, the card is collected by the fraudsters to withdraw money from your account.

How it happens 

  • You may get called on your mobile or land line by someone who claims to be from your bank or the police. They say their systems have spotted a fraudulent payment on your card or it is due to expire and needs to be replaced.
  • They might suggest that you hang up and redial the number of their bank or police force to reassure you that they’re genuine. However, they don’t disconnect the call from the land line, so that when you dial the real phone number, you’re still speaking to the same fraudster.
  • They’ll then ask you to read out your credit or debit card PIN or type it on your phone keypad. They may ask for details of other accounts you hold with the bank or elsewhere to grab more information.
  • Then they promise to send a courier to you to collect your bank card. The fraudster will have your name, address, full bank details, card and PIN, they will then withdraw cash using the card and may even use the information to commit identity fraud in your name.

    Protect yourself

  • Your bank or the police will never call you to ask you to verify your personal details or PIN by phone or offer to pick up your card by courier. Hang up if you get a call like this.
  • If you need to call your bank back to check, wait five minutes; fraudsters may stay on the line after you hang up. Alternatively, use a different line altogether to call your bank.
  • Never call a telephone number given to you by a suspected fraudster.
    Use the telephone number on the back of your bank card or from your bank statement.

Note: There are variations on this fraud, but they will follow a very similar format.  In some cases, the fraudster will say someone (possibly bank staff) have deposited fake notes in your account, so you need to withdraw cash, so they can check it.

In some instances, the victim has not given any card or PIN details, in these cases the fraudsters may have obtained their bank details elsewhere, the fraud then follows the format above.

Be especially careful when taking out cash at ATM’S and when you use chip and pin machines to conceal your PIN code.

Report suspicious activity online

For the first time you can report suspicious activity online.
The facility is part of Operation Twist, the crackdown on rural burglaries in Huntingdonshire and South Cambs.

People can report suspicious activity in the two districts through the force website or via email.

Offenders will often visit an area in the days leading up to a burglary to scope out potential targets. It’s at this point that people are most likely to notice something unusual but may not think it is worth reporting. We want descriptions of these people and any vehicle details that may be linked to them.

We appreciate that not everyone may want to phone through with this type of information and hope the online facility will provide an effective way of doing this.
However if people suspect there is a burglary in process then they should always dial 999.

To report suspicious activity or information about burglary visit the ‘Operation Twist’ page of the force website – www.cambs.police.uk. Or email – 

Patrols continue to be increased in rural villages, as well as investigative and forensic work to target those responsible.
Anyone with information should use the online facility or call police on 101. Or contact Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

Burglary alert

Please can I make you aware of a number of dwelling and business burglaries in the areas of Melbourn, Shepreth, Haslingfield, Bassingbourn, Barrington and Gamlingay in the last week.

The idea of this message is not to cause alarm but just to get you to think about your home security.

If you see anything which you feel uncomfortable about call us on the new non emergency number 101 or, if you see something actually happening (or you think may be about to happen) it’s 999 !

Thanks for your continued support.

Melbourn Neighbourhood Policing Team

Suspicious activity around horse yards

We have had a report of a horse being ‘marked’. The owners of the horse found initials of ‘O R’ marked on a hoof of the horse. After speaking with their farrier they have been told that this is an activity that is carried out before the horse is stolen so the offenders know which horses are valuable. Other ways of ‘marking’ are to put a small plait in the tail.

If you or someone you know has horses could you please make them aware of the incident? If you do notice any unusual activity at a location that has horses then please use the 101 number or in an emergency dial 999.

Dial 101 for non-emergency calls

I wanted to let you know that you can now contact Cambridgeshire Constabulary on 101 for all non-emergency calls.

The change comes part of a national programme to make 101 the single non-emergency number in England and Wales, giving residents an easy-to-remember number to contact local police wherever they are.

The call system is designed to recognise where you are calling from and connect you with the local police service. If you did not want to speak to your local force, or the force area you are in, you will be given the option to be connected to different one.

The number change does not affect the way that calls are handled and we will continue to take non-emergency calls 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Please continue to call 999 when an immediate response is needed because a crime is happening, someone suspected of a crime is nearby, or someone is in danger.

Kind regards,

Superintendent Mike Brown


http://www.police.uk/101 – Details on 101 and the national roll-out

Have your say on the future of policing in Cambridgeshire

You have the chance to help shape the future of policing in Cambridgeshire using a new online tool.

The ‘Have your say’ section on the force website will feature weekly projects being considered for a more efficient and effective policing model.

The force faces a number of challenges over the next few years as we work to balance the books and ensure we make the best use of resources.
Work is already underway to review the existing force structure to create a new policing model that provides the best possible service to the public.

Our focus remains on frontline duties and a commitment to bringing offenders to justice and keeping people safe.
Now you can get involved in helping us achieve this by having your say about the changes being made to the force.

We are very interested in your opinions and will be taking the responses into account as we redesign the force’s structure.
Each week a topic under review will be posted on the force website for people to comment on or post questions.

All comments, questions and answers will be viewable and the forum will be live for at least the next three months.

The first topic will be the review of all non-frontline duties carried out by police officers. This includes managerial, analytical, training and call handling.
Over the life of the restructure we will look at each of the officers in these posts and consider which should be returned to the frontline and in what timeframe.

Kind regards

Chief Constable Simon Parr

http://www.cambs.police.uk/newpolicingapproach/haveyoursay/ – ‘Have your say’

Police Community Support Officers – their role explained

We often get asked about the difference between Police Constables and Police Community Support Officers. PCSO’s are uniformed staff whose role is to support the work of police officers within the community in Neighbourhood Policing Teams. They are a vital part of these teams and a large part of their role is to patrol in communities and work with organisations like the local councils to tackle the menace of anti-social behaviour.

PCSO’s do not have the same powers of arrest as police officers, although they do have the right to detain suspected offenders for up to thirty minutes until a police officer arrives. They also are able to give tickets for certain offences such as parking and littering. You can find out more about the role of a PCSO on our website.


Fireworks offer great entertainment, a spectacular display of sparkling shapes and colours and are used to celebrate numerous festivities throughout the year. There are many legal restrictions and safety guidelines surrounding firework use. They can only be sold by registered retailers, they cannot be bought or carried by anyone under 18, sparklers should not be given to children under the age of five years and older children should always be supervised when using sparklers.

It is illegal to ignite fireworks between 11pm and 7am except on:

November 5 (Bonfire night) – until midnight

New Year’s Eve – 1am on the following day

Chinese New Year – 1am on the following day

Diwali – 1am on the following day
When using fireworks there is an increased risk of injury if people ignore simple safety guidelines. Residents are therefore encouraged to attend properly supervised, organised events.

Remember, remember… Stay safe and please:
Do not throw fireworks in a public place
Do not carry fireworks if you are under 18
Do not let fireworks off after midnight

The police can stop and search for fireworks in any public place. Offences are punishable by £80 fixed penalty notice.

Police enhancement access line (PEAL)

There is a dedicated phone number for people with communication difficulties.

The police enhancement access line (PEAL) is available 24 hours a day for non-emergency calls for anyone who has a communication difficulty.

Those wanting to use the system must register first to ensure their details are already in the system.  They will then be given the dedicated number
which allow them to contact specially trained call taker.

The scheme can be used for all non-emergency calls.  In the event of an emergency people should always call 999.

For more information about the scheme contact the police service centre on 101 or visit the force website – www.cambs.police.uk.

To contact the police:

In an emergency dial 999

For non-emergency dial 101

Crimestoppers 0800 555 111 (Anonymous reporting option available.)

Always ask for an Incident Reference Number and feedback if you need it.

NameTel: 01763Street
Judith Davis Roach 852545Ashwell Road
John Dellar 852460Buxtons lane
Mike Allton 853149High Street
Anne Johnstone 853095Church Lane
Doreen Mitchell 852740New Road
Cicely Murfitt 852526Silver Street
Andrew Tanser852007Silver Street
Rachel Goodall852007Silver Street
Michael Keech853432Worboys Court
Gary McCulloch852280Dubbs Knoll Road
Brenda Davies853037Fox Hill
Lianne Taylor 853305Potton Road